The Chest Lift is a great exercise that can be performed at home or while traveling. This exercise focuses on increasing abdominal strength and control by working the deeper layer of abdominal muscles and challenging the endurance of those muscles.
By performing the Chest Lift on a regular basis, you will improve the overall strength of your abdominal muscles which will improve low back stability, decrease back pain and improve mobility of the spine.
When clients report neck pain when performing abdominal strengthening, we recommend they start with this exercise as the upper body support will assist in getting the neck and shoulders higher thereby decreasing stress and strain on the neck muscles.
In this video we are going to show you how you can perform the Chest Lift at home.
- Begin lying down on a mat.
- Bend your knees.
- Bring your hands behind your head. Interlace your fingers behind your head.
- Inhale to prepare. Exhale. Curl your head, neck, and shoulders up.
- Inhale. Reach your hands behind your thighs. You’re actually going to grab your thighs.
- Bend your elbows pulling your chest towards your legs so you curl up a little bit higher.
- Holding this position, you’re going to bring your hands back behind your head and lower yourself back down to the mat.
- Repeat 8-10 repetitions.