I’m not going to lie, I really had no idea what to write my blog about this month… not because I lack passion about what to write about, but more so that I feel that I have so many important things to write about at this time. While I’m always excited to write about pilates exercises and healthy pizza recipes, topics of that nature don’t seem to suit me right now.
I have been through a lot in this year of 2017 and, at the end of the day, all of those not-so-great experiences have further encouraged me to be my best self.
What that means to me is:
- To be kind to myself and my body – to not force it so hard at the gym if my body doesn’t feel it, to not feel bad if I don’t get a workout in on a certain day, to feel amazing and grateful if I do get a good workout in
- To give up on the ‘shoulds’ and ‘shouldn’ts’ and focus on the “what is appropriate for me?” and “what do I want?” If I want pizza, I eat pizza. If I want salad, I eat salad. If I “should” go to a party or event, but feel it won’t help me be my best self, then I don’t go. If the person is a true friend, he or she will likely understand. Everything in moderation and ignoring the “rules”.
- To realize that every.single.person. is functioning at his or her own level of consciousness and every.single.person. is capable of functioning at whatever level of consciousness and awareness that is appropriate for him or her. It is NOT my place to judge someone who is functioning at a higher or lower level of consciousness than I am; all I can do is accept him or her, respect him or her, and decide whether or not that person is helping me be my best self. If that person is not enhancing my life, then I am comfortable letting him or her go and I send them love, light, and good vibes on his or her journey.
- Watching trashy, mindless TV is totally OK in small doses. I’m learning that completely disconnecting is ok and appropriate for me and where I’m at in my journey
- Going to the beach and neglecting household chores is necessary for me to function as my highest self. I used to feel guilty on weekends when I would not get everything done around my house that I needed to. Letting go of the guilt and spending time in MY happy place is necessary for me to let go of stress and function with the clearest mind possible
Since every single one of us is beautifully different, I challenge each and every one of you to discover what helps to you be your best self. Meditate on it. Learn it. Do it.
With peace and love, Alix Terpos