Yes, I am a Pilates instructor and I am supposed to love healthy food. I am supposed to set a good example for my clients…right? Actually, I do love healthy food. I eat healthy and exercise every day. I eat all vegetables, fruits, nuts, wild salmon, free range chicken and eggs. I really try to stay away from bread and pasta because they make me feel weighed down and tired. But the reality is, I am human. I do crave sweets, not all the time, just some times. And when I do, it’s chocolate. And I like brownies, the ooey gooey fudge kind. So I would like to share a healthier version of my favorite treat. They are made with all healthy ingredients and are gluten free. So if you are a chocolate lover like me and you want to try something healthy, these brownies are the way to go. Enjoy!
Almond butter chocolate chunk brownies (gluten-free)
- 1 cup roasted almond butter. Try to get organic, free of extra oils. (I roasted raw almonds with a little salt and made almond butter out of the cooled roasted almonds in my food processor. Super easy to do; clean up is a bit of a pain.)
- 1 egg for gooey brownies or 2 eggs for cake-like brownies (for a vegan twist you could substitute chia seeds or flax seed for the eggs. I have not done this yet, I imagine the texture would be a little different.)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup organic coconut sugar (scant. I didn’t fill it completely up, but almost)
- 1/4 c unsweetened rice milk
- 1/2 c “Enjoy Life” vegan, gluten-free chocolate chunks
Preheat oven to 325. Line bottom of 8×8 pan with parchment paper. (You could just grease the bottom of the pan, I suppose, but I like easy clean up because I have too much to do to spend time scrubbing a gooey, melted chocolate brownie crusted dish. Or maybe I am just lazy.)
Mix almond butter with hand mixer until creamy. Add egg, mix again. Batter will become crumbly. Add each ingredient, mixing just a bit between each ingredient. Add rice milk at the end and mix until mixture is brownie batter consistency. Fold in chocolate chunks. Spread onto parchment paper lined pan. Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out mostly clean.
Let cool a bit before lifting them out of the pan by the parchment paper and cutting or they will fall apart. Or don’t and eat them right out of the pan when they are warm, melty and messy.
Teri Seier Moore